About

318 Ceramics is an independent, creative organisation which promotes ceramics by providing education and support to all makers, from complete beginners through to professional makers.

We are based at The Farnham Pottery – Established in 1873, it is a wonderful set of original Victorian buildings in the craft town of Farnham.

We are delighted to call such an inspiring space our home and play a part in continuing the town’s long and rich relationship with clay.  We provide an inspiring range of ceramic courses, educational workshops, masterclasses, children’s creative clay club and artists’ studios.

And have you wondered about our name?

‘Farnham 318’ was the original telephone number for the pottery.

History

Once a thriving pottery, established by Absolom Harris in 1873, the business continued on the same site for nearly 130 years, and was run by the five successive generations of the Harris family.

In its heyday the Pottery operated its own clay pits, had five working bottle kilns one of which remains, and employed up to 30 people producing and selling domestic, architectural and garden wares in large quantities. Farnham Greenware was much sought after and can still be seen displayed in Farnham Museum.

In conjunction with the then Farnham Art School, the pottery produced a range of Farnham Art Pottery, which was sold at Liberty’s, Heals and across the world. Many well-known potters including Jim Keeling, David Queensbury and one of our own Patrons, Sir Terence Conran learnt their craft at Wrecclesham.

In July 2011, Guy and Elaine Hains purchased the Farnham Pottery site. Working closely with 318 Ceramics, the Hains’ embarked on a sympathetic conversion of the buildings to create practical work areas, while retaining the intrinsic charm of the interior and the important features that acknowledge its origins as a former working pottery.